Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: December 2008

Unlike modern cellos, which have their necks morticed into the top block, baroque cello necks are simply glued and nailed. I say ‘simply’ but it’s a slightly nerve racking business partly because there’s little opportunity for later adjustment if the neck position isn’t absolutely right but also because, if the neck splits as the nails are driven in, a good deal of work is wasted. You drill pilot holes first, of course, but even so…

The first step is to prepare the neck and carve the scroll and pegbox.

dsc_0001-1dsc_0004-4

Then the partially completed neck is glued and nailed onto the top of the rib assembly. As the photograph shows, this is done upside down.

dsc_0011-3

Advertisements

It has been a shamefully long time since I wrote my last post and I apologise to anyone who has been waiting for  news of the cello. Although it has been progressing well, I became so absorbed in making it that I didn’t have enough energy left over to write about it. However, I did keep a camera nearby and I’ll sketch out the various stages of the instrument’s construction in photographs. Here’s the rib structure complete, with the corners trimmed.

dsc_0004-1

The top layer of the mould has been lifted off, exposing the inner sides of the ribs so that the linings can be glued into place.

dsc_0003-1

The lining of the C bout is morticed into the corner block

dsc_0004-2

And here is the rib structure complete and removed from the mould. I’m in the process of trimming the blocks down to their final size.

dsc_0013

%d bloggers like this: